Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why Do A Blog On Rafael Benitez

I am a supporter of Liverpool Football Club and as such I was very interested when Rafael Benitez decided to join the club in 2004. A quick check on his profile showed that he had won 2 league titles plus a UEFA Cup with Valencia in 3 years. Very impressive. However, despite being one of the best managers around, I find that people have trouble understanding his approach. I studied him closely during his time at Liverpool, I went through his time at Valencia and even his autobiography. It was only after a while that what he was doing started to make sense. I had been thinking of doing a blog/website about Rafa Benitez for sometime, particularly because of the nonsense being written about him in the press. However, I was not sure how to get on with it, and as such I almost didn't do this blog. I figured out that people would always believe what they wanted to believe about Rafa and there was not point of showing them the truth.

I changed my mind only recently, when reading through the forums, I saw that the overwhelming majority of Liverpool supporters held Rafa in high regard. Their voices had been silenced by a minority who had been using Rafa's last season as a hammer to beat him relentlessly. The majority of Liverpool supporters just could not say anything, because anything they would say would be met by - "Rafa performed badly in his last season, so he is shit". Moreover, they quoted the inaccuracies and lies being written in the press, and they used that to attack anybody who dared defend the spanish manager.

I am doing this blog for the sole purpose of analysing and showing Rafa Benitez in his true light - his strengths and weaknesses included.

No comments:

Post a Comment